Printer-friendly versionSend to friend ""

Alms House, New York - Ridgway

Pattern Category: Places

Series: Beauties of America

Object Type: Dinner and Dessert Wares


  • Diameter: 15.875 inches


Shown here on a round bowl, this view also appears on two sizes of platters.  The building shown here was the third Alms House, or poorhouse, provided by the city of New York to house the poor and those unable to care for themselves. The first was built in the 1730s on the present site of New York City Hall. A second was erected north of that location in 1796; in 1816 it became the site of Dr. Scudder's Museum when the Alms House was relocated to this building on the banks of the East River. The Alms House was later relocated to Blackwell's (now Roosevelt) Island in the East River and this building became Bellevue Hospital. Andrew Stevenson's Alms House, New York, and Ralph Stevenson's Almshouse, New York, can both be seen in this exhibit.